Study in Nigeria with University of Uyo; Brief History, Tuition Fees, How to Apply, Ranking and Accreditation Information
Find out how to apply, admission requirements for international students, recent ranking and accreditation information, and all you need to know about studying in Nigeria with University of Uyo.
University of Uyo is in the heart of Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom State; Nigeria’s second largest oil-producing state. Uyo is easily accessible by road, though there is an international airport for external use(s). It operates from four campuses.
The University was formerly known as the University of Cross River State (UNICROSS). On October 1, 1991 the federal government of Nigeria established it as a federal university and the name was changed to the University of Uyo.
The university inherited students, staff, academic programmes and the entire facilities of the erstwhile University of Cross River State established by Cross River State in 1983. Academic activities commenced during the 1991/92 academic session. UNIUYO has 13 Faculties, and the Postgraduate school.
The fourth Vice-Chancellor was Professor Comfort Ekpo who was also the first woman Vice-Chancellor from 2010 to 2015. Professor Enefiok Essien was confirmed as the Vice-Chancellor in January 2016 and has remained in that capacity since then. Professor Enefiok Essien, a commercial lawyer by profession has served as a two time dean in the faculty of Law. He was also the chairman council of Deans.
International and National Ranking
Uniuyo as it is fondly called is ranked at 17 in the country and 3816 in the world as at 2018 Universities ranking in July.
All courses are accredited and recognized by National Universities Commission in Nigeria as at the time of this review.
Tuition Fees in UNIUYO
While i was in school, the tuition fees used to range from N18,000 to N50,000 depending on your program of study; but currently the fees has increased to between N30,000 and N70,000 as at the time of this review, and is subject to change. You can convert the amount to your currency using the most recent exchange rate.
University of Uyo Campuses
- The Permanent Site/Main Campus which accommodates Parts of Central Administration, Faculties of Engineering and Natural and Applied Sciences, International Centre for Energy and Environmental Sustainability Research (ICEESR), and the Postgraduate School
- The Town Campus which accommodates Faculties of Arts, Education, Social Sciences, and Pharmacy
- The Annex Campus, home for the Faculties of Agriculture, Business Administration, Law, Environmental Studies and General Studies
- The Ime Umana Campus, Ediene Abak, which accommodates the Pre-Degree, JUPEB and other special courses.
The Uniuyo Library
The Library has an active collection of 46,745 volumes and handles about 409,977 lending and reference inquiries annually. Current journals stand at 271 representing all disciplinary interests. The library is equipped with modern computers and has a reading space of 970.51 metres with seating capacity for 698.
There are four main divisions; Acquisition, Lending, Processing, and Research.
- The Research Division comprises Reference, Serials, Special Collections and Government Collections. The Special Collection comprises Nyong Essien, Africana and Government Collection.
- Acquisition and Processing selects and orders library materials and organizes them for effective use.
- The Public Service ( Lending ) Division deals directly with readers, regulates the use of library materials, and handles reference questions.
- The office of university librarian provides data for planning, budgeting, control and coordination of the library.
The University Health Centre provides free health services to students, staff and staff family members. It is open to the public. Routine services provided include;
- Medical certification
- Ante-natal care
- Family planning
- General surgery
- Medical and laboratory services
- Out-patient and in-patient care
- Environmental and preventive health services
Admission Requirements for International Students and How to Apply
- Academic Transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
- First degree for postgraduate students
- High School Certificate for Undergraduates
- International Passport so that they can help you apply for Visa
- Motivation Letter
For more program specific admission requirements and how to apply, contact the school directly, their contact information are at the end of this page.
- John James Akpan Udo-Edehe Politician
- Onofiok Luke Politician
- Ime Bishop Umoh Actor
- Ini Edo Actress
- Aniekan Umanah Politician
- Rt. Hon Usenobong Akpabio Politician
- Hon. Owen Owen Politician
I am also a proud alumnus of this great institution, and currently I am into Blogging and FOREX Trading.
Below are a list of affiliate institutions of the University of Uyo, approved by the National Universities Commission (NUC);
- St. Joseph Major Seminary, Ikot Ekpene
- Assemblies of God Divinity School, Old Umuahia
- The Apostolic Church Theological Seminary, Amumara
- The Samuel Bill Theological College, Abak
- Osun State College Of Education, Ila-Orangun (Regular)
Below are the 13 Faculties in Uniuyo and Undergraduate Programs Offered.
For list of Postgraduate Programs offered by Uniuyo, please follow this link; https://www.myschoolgist.com/ng/uniuyo-postgraduate-courses/
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
- Agricultural Economics And Extension
- Home Economics
- Fisheries And Aquaculture
- Environmental Health Management
- Animal Science
- Soil Science
- Forestry And Wildlife
- Food Science And Technology
- Crop Science
- Agro Forestry
FACULTY OF ARTS
- History And International Studies
- Foreign Languages
- Religious Cultural Studies
- Communication Arts
- Linguistics And Nigerian Languages
- Theatre Arts
FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL
FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- Banking And Finance
- Business Management
- Business Administration
FACULTY OF CLINICAL SCIENCES
- Medicine And Surgery
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
- Educational Technology And Library Science
- Early Childhood And Special Education
- Vocational Education
- Physical And Health Education
- Postgraduate Diploma In Education
- Educational Foundation
- Curriculum Studies Educational Mgt. And Planning
- Science Education
- Institute Of Education
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
- Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical/Electronics Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Agricultural Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Food Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Urban And Regional Planning
- Geoinformatics And Surveying
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Management And Conservation
- Waste Management Studies
- Quantity Surveying
- Fine And Industrial Arts
- Estate Management
- Actuarial Science
FACULTY OF LAW
FACULTY OF PHARMACY
- Pharmacology And Toxicology
- Pharmacognosy And Natural Medicine
FACULTY OF SCIENCE
- Botany And Ecological Studies
- Medical Microbiology And Parasitology
- Computer Science
- Brewing Science And Technology
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Sociology And Anthropology
- Political Science And Public Administration
- Geography And Regional Planning
FACULTY OF CONTINUING EDUCATION
This faculty grooms that wants to get direct entry admission into 200 level basically in Sciences, Environmental Studies, Social Sciences, Education, and Arts. Students that don’t want to pass through JAMB ( Joint Admission and Matriculation Board ) can enter via this faculty. JUPEB and other special programs are also done here.
- Email – email@example.com
- Official website – https://www.uniuyo.edu.ng/
- Contact Phone Number – +234(0)-8146129875, +234(0)-7017747407
Nwaniba Road, Uyo
Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
Town Campus and Annex Campus
Ikpa Road, Uyo
Akwa Ibom State,
Postal Box; P.M.B 1017