Study in Nigeria; Top and Low Tuition Universities in Nigeria with Tuition Fees, Cost of Living, Admission Requirements and Visa Application
Do you wish to study in Nigeria, this information is for you. find out cheap federal, state, and private universities in Nigeria you can study with. I have reviewed tuition fees, admission requirements and how to apply for Visa if you are an international student. The fees are in naira, you can convert to dollars if you are not a Nigerian.
Nigeria is a country in West Africa. Nigeria shares land borders with the Republic of Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, and Niger in the north. Its coast lies on the Gulf of Guinea in the south and it borders Lake Chad to the northeast. Noted geographical features in Nigeria include the Adamawa highlands, Mambilla Plateau, Jos Plateau, Obudu Plateau, the Niger River, River Benue and Niger Delta.
Nigeria is found in the Tropics, where the climate is seasonally damp and very humid. Nigeria is affected by four climate types; these climate types are distinguishable, as one moves from the southern part of Nigeria to the northern part of Nigeria through Nigeria’s middle belt. For more information, please visit wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Nigeria
Tuition Fees In Nigerian Universities
The tuition Fees depend on your course of study and choice of institution;
10 Low Tuition Federal Universities In Nigeria
- Federal university of agriculture, Abeokuta N18,500 – N33,000
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria N20,000 – N33,000
- University of Ibadan N20,000 – N35, 000
- University of Lagos N14,500 – N65,000
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife N19,500 – N65,000
- University of Benin N13,000 – N49,000
- Bayero University, Kano N26,000 – N40,000
- University of Calabar N36,000 – N42,000
- National Open University of Nigeria N36,000 – N41,000
- University of Abuja N25,000 – N63,000
10 Low Tuition State Universities in Nigeria
- Lagos State University N25,000 – N50,000
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Ondo State N40,000 – N55,000
- Nassarawa State University N35,000
- Benue State University N45,000 – N60,000
- Akwa Ibom State University N57,000
- Kogi State University N57,000
- Delta State University N58,000
- Kebbi State University of Science and Technology N60,000
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology N65,000
10 Low Tuition Private Universities in Nigeria
- Oduduwa University, Ile Ife N170,000
- Obong University, Obong Ntak N180,000 – N200,000
- Rhema University, Aba, N313,000 – N325,000
- Adeleke University, Ede N350,000
- Crawford University, Igbesa N480,000 – N490,000
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji N400,000 – 450,000
- Ajayi Crowther University, Abeokuta N450,000 – 500,000
- Lead City University, Ibadan N400,000 – 600,000
Note; the figures above are for students from Nigeria, international students tuition fees is estimated at $2000 to $7000 depending on the choice of institution; consult your school of choice for more information.
- For undergraduate studies, you need to have SSCE or any equivalent High School result which should comprise of atleast 6 credits in subjects relevant to your proposed course of study.
- For Postgraduate studies you need your first degree in a field relevant to your course or you will need to go through Postgraduate School in any university of choice before you are qualified to study your course if it is not in consonant with your former program.
- You will have to write JAMB ( Joint Admission and Matriculation Board ) Examination and University Aptitude Test to qualify for admission; this is mainly for Nigerians. International students can apply directly to the school of choice, there are slots for them, but they may still write aptitude test depending on the university.
- If you are from a country that English is not it first language, you will need to show proof of English language proficiency; for postgraduate students, if your first degree was taught in English, then you can get a letter from your former institution stating your course was taught in English and present.
- If you are admitted you will need to pay acceptance fees ranging from N15,000 to N60,000 depending on if you want to go federal, state or private university
- Certificates of Birth and Origin will also be needed from you. Resident Permit for foreigners
Cost of Living
Living cost in Nigeria is very affordable; with N30,000 per month you can survive in any school at all but it largely depends on your spending habit. If you like to be very comfortable i recommend N50,000. This estimate does not include accommodation.
Cost of Accommodation
Depending on the standard of hostel, all government universities collect between N15,000 to N40,000 for hostel fee, while private institutions collect N60,000 and above.
If you want to live off campus;
- One room is between N36,000 to N70,000 depending on the city
- Self contain is between N70,000 to N250,000
- One bedroom flat is between N100,000 to N350,000
- Other flats N150,000 and above
Some cities like Lagos are more expensive than others; expensive cities in Nigeria include Lagos, Abuja and PortHarcourt, the rest are very affordable.
Nigeria Student Visa Requirements
For international students from west African countries, ECOWAS boarder regulation law provide that any body at all from any west African country does not require a visa to visit or study in another west African country; all you need is your international passport issued in your country.
For other international students, you will need your international passport, admission letter from a Nigerian school, Formal application for Visa from the Employer / Institution accepting Immigration Responsibility, Valid international Passport with a minimum of 6 months validity and at least 2 blank pages for visa endorsement, 2 passport sized photographs (35/40mm) taken within the last 6 months on white background etc.
contact your university of choice on how to apply for a student visa to study in Nigeria or you visit the Nigerian Immigration Service website via https://immigration.gov.ng
Every other international student needs a valid student visa for his or her study in Nigeria tour.
Top 10 Universities in Nigeria
- University of Ibadan
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- University of Lagos
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- Covenant University
- Ahmadu Bello University
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Ilorin
- University of Benin
- University of Abuja