This post focuses on cheap universities in Thailand, tuition fees structure for international students, cost of living, admission requirements, study visa and admission process. Tuition fees in Thailand are very cheap and affordable. They offer highly recognized and accredited programs in their schools.
Thailand is located in Southeast Asia in close proximity to the Indochinese peninsula. It is a relatively large country in terms of population. Bangkok is the capital of Thailand.
Thailand is a Southeast Asian country. Its prominent features are tropical beaches, opulent royal palaces, ancient ruins and ornate temples displaying figures of Buddha. In Bangkok, the capital, an ultramodern cityscape rises next to quiet canalside communities and the iconic temples of Wat Arun, Wat Pho and the Emerald Buddha Temple (Wat Phra Kaew). Beach resorts in the capital include bustling Pattaya and fashionable Hua Hin.
- Capital: Bangkok
- Dialing code: +66
- Currency: Thai baht
- Official language: Thai
Why you should study abroad in Thailand as internationals student
- Up to 400 master’s degree programs are taught in English and are aimed at international students.
- Many higher education institutions and colleges in Thailand are highly reputable worldwide.
- Thailand has a very diverse and open culture.
- Their rich natural ecosystem is second to none in the world. It is what makes the country one of the top nature tourists’ centers in the world.
- Exotic foods.
- Affordable and developed transport system.
- When you study abroad in Thailand, it is an opportunity to learn more about their ancient religion as almost all indigenous Thais are Buddhist.
- The people of Thailand are so warm and receptive to foreigners.
Application Process and Visa
As an International student, you need a visa to study in Thailand; however, in many cases the school that the student is planning to attend can help with the paperwork. Before arriving in Thailand, students must get an Education Visa (Non-Immigrant ED visa) from the Thai embassy or consulate in their home country.
If your studies will take upto or more than a semester in Thailand, you will be required to apply for a 90-day non-immigrant education visa from your home country. This visa can be renewed and extended for up to a year at official immigration offices in Thailand.
The visa fee is THB 1,900 (about $60). After receiving the visa, students must notify the Immigration Office every 90 days of their current address; missing this notification results in a fine of THB 2,000.
To apply for the visa before leaving, you need to secure an admission with your university of choice in Thailand. Similarly, you will be required to show your acceptance letter, along with the documents below;
- application form
- a valid passport
- passport photos
- evidence of sufficient fund (20,000 baht –$360 – per person) to the Thai consulate or embassy in your home country on appointment.
Students must demonstrate that they re buoyant enough to fund their way through school or get sponsorship. Single students must show they have THB 20,000 (about $650) and students with families must have THB 40,000 (about $1300).
If you need to know more about how to get a student visa to Thailand and fees, contact any Thai embassy or consulate in your country.
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Thailand is very low and affordable. But this is largely dependent on the student’s spending habit and lifestyle. It is important to know that small apartments can be rented for about $60 to $215 per month. Also, international students can expect to spend only about $30 each month for feeding.
It is very important to note that living costs vary broadly depending on whether you live in a city or close to any. One month’s rent in the city of Bangkok can cost as much as 14,000 baht ($430), while living outside of the city will cost about half this amount, approximately 7,400 baht ($230).
Students in a shared apartment will testify that expenditure will again be cut. Food in Thailand is another inexpensive pleasure. A meal at an affordable restaurant will come to approximately 60 baht (less than $2) while a full-blown three course meal for two at a mid-range restaurant will cost around 600 baht ($18).
In Thailand you will be availed with modern and good health care system that includes government health services, non-governmental organizations and private medical services. Thai citizens in possession of a Universal Coverage Health card generally receive free medical services.
However, all others must pay for services, whether they are obtained at public or private facilities. Students should obtain health insurance in their home country before arriving in Thailand, as lots of private hospitals will not treat patients without proof of health insurance.
Tuition Fees and Program Duration
Tuition and fees vary from university to university and programs to programs. Tuition for master’s degree programs at public universities is usually about $1,000 (US) to $2,000 (US) per year. Tuition at private universities is about $75 (US) to $125 (US) per credit hour.
Master’s programs generally require two years and 36 credit hours to complete.
The academic year run by most schools comprises of two 16-week semesters and a summer session. The first semester runs from June to October, the second semester runs from November to March and the summer semester runs from April to May. Some universities use the Western semester calendar of September to December and January to May, and some universities practice trimesters.
Cheap Universities in Thailand for International Students
- Kalasin University
- Maejo University
- Mahasarakham University
- Nakhon Phanom University
- Naresuan University
- National Institute of Development Administration
- Pathumwan Institute of Technology
- Prince of Songkla University
- Princess of Naradhiwas University
- Ramkhamhaeng University
- Silpakorn University
- Srinakharinwirot University
- Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University
- Ubon Ratchathani University
- Burapha University
- Chiang Mai University
- Chulalongkorn University
- Chulabhorn Royal Academy of Science
- Kasetsart University
- Khon Kaen University
- King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
- King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok
- King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi
- Mae Fah Luang University
- Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
- Mahamakut Buddhist University
- Mahidol University
- Navamindradhiraj University
- University of Phayao
- Princess Galyani Vadhana Institute of Music
- Suan Dusit University
- Suranaree University of Technology
- Thaksin University
- Thammasat University
- Walailak University