American Military University
Find out all you need to know about american military university – amu including tuition fees and aids, admission requirements, programs, accreditation etc.
American Military University Accreditation
Accredited by HLC
American Military University is part of the American Public University System (APUS), which is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) (www.hlcommission.org). HLC accredits degree-granting institutions located in a 19-state region, and is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Universities such as The Ohio State, University of Chicago and the U.S. Air Force Academy are also accredited by HLC.
Founded in 1991 by a retired military officer, AMU today offers 190+ degrees and certificates and the university’s bachelor’s programs were named to “US News & World Report’s” ranking of top online degree programs for the sixth consecutive year. AMU is recognized by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) as a member of the accredited American Public University System.
Educating those who serve. With a strong military heritage, American Military University (AMU) educates those in the military, defense, national security, public safety, and related communities.
AMU is proud to be the number one provider of higher education to their US Armed Forces as reported by “Military Times” (August 2014). It’s an online university with boots on the ground at military installations around the country. AMU representatives have a deep understanding of the military world and they stand ready to discuss students’ options. AMU is committed to serving, whether students are currently serving, making a transition, or mission-driven civilians.
American Military University Online Programs;
Online Certificate Programs;
- Paralegal Studies
- American Military History
- BA in History
- BS Business Management and Leadership
- BS: Information Technology-general
- Bachelors of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Business Administration
- Child and Family Development
- Environmental Studies
- Homeland Security
- Information Systems Security
- Information Technology Management
- Intelligence Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- International Relations
- Legal Studies
- Middle Eastern Studies
- Political Science
- Transportation and Logistics Management
Quality graduate education in an online, flexible format.
Their online graduate programs are developed with input from industry advisors to bring you relevant curriculum in the most popular fields. Courses are taught online by dedicated professionals who bring real world experience and passion into the classroom.
American Military University Master’s Programs;
- Criminal Justice
- Emergency Management and Disaster Planning
- Environmental Policy and Management
- Intelligence Studies
- Master of Arts In Military Studies
- Master of Arts in History
- Master of Arts in Intelligence Studies
- Military History
- Military History
- National Security Studies
- Security Management
- Space Studies
- Sports Management
How to Apply
- Choose Your Program
- Select your desired academic program from our 200+ degrees and certificates. Use our program
- finder to compare programs or call us for help if you’re not sure which program is right for you.
- Apply Online
- There is no fee to apply. Our easy online application takes 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
- Complete Admissions Requirements
- After you submit your application, an admissions representative will walk you through the follow-up steps you need to get started.
- Register for Courses
- Their classes start monthly, so you can begin soon after being admitted to the university.
American Military University Requirements
All International Students
- If you reside in the U.S., you are required to hold and submit documentation of a current U.S. residency card, appropriate current visa, or Social Security Number.
- Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be required to provide documentation of English proficiency.
- Because they are an online university, you will need to have regular access to a computer and a stable Internet connection in order to complete the online coursework.
- For degree programs, if you have earned college credits at a CHEA accredited institution or from a member university of Universities Canada (formerly the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada), you will be required to submit our transfer credit evaluation (TCE) application when you apply.
- If you have earned college credit from a non-accredited institution, you have the option to have your transcripts evaluated for U.S. equivalency by a university-approved agency and can choose to submit a TCE to earn possible transfer credit. Learn more about equivalency evaluations.
- To take individual courses here for transfer elsewhere, please check “Non-Degree-Seeking” on the admissions application.
Undergraduate Student Admissions
Selecting the right degree is your first step toward a successful educational experience. If you’re like many students who arrive here unsure of which program to choose, you’re not alone. Their admissions representatives can help you make this important decision.
Requirements for all Undergraduate Students
- You must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED) to apply to the university. (Current high school students can request dual enrollment before earning their diplomas.)
- If you have not previously earned college-level academic credits, you must submit proof of high school completion when you apply to the university.
- You may be asked to complete their College Readiness Assessment. If you have previously earned 9+ hours of college credit, please contact them about waiving this requirement.
- If you are a transfer student, you will be asked to submit your transcripts from any other schools where you earned college-level academic credit.
- If you plan to take courses here for personal knowledge or to transfer to other universities, please select “Non Degree Seeking” on the admissions application.
- You will be asked to submit a legible color copy of your valid government-issued photo ID before registering for courses.
- Military undergraduate students will submit a government issued JST or CCAF transcript.
Graduate Student Admission Requirements
- You will need a bachelor’s degree (or higher) from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please check their international admissions page for more information.
- You will be asked to submit a legible color copy of your valid government-issued photo ID. Military students, except Air Force, can submit a government issued JST transcript.
American Military University Tuition and Aids
Military Tuition Assistance
They have been educating those who serve™ since 1991, and are a top provider of education to the U.S. military today. They are as dedicated to helping you pay for school as they are to helping you start and finish it. Here are just a few ways they support their military-affiliated students;
- Low tuition rates to help limit your out-of-pocket costs beyond military tuition assistance (TA).
- A tuition grant designed to cap our undergraduate tuition at $250/credit hour and graduate tuition at $325/credit hour for U.S. active-duty servicemembers and their spouses/dependents, Guard, Reserve, and veterans.
- Technology fees covered by grants for active-duty service-members and for Guard and Reserve personnel when using military TA.
- Textbooks and/or e-books provided at no charge to students earning undergraduate academic credit, with no impact on military TA or other financial aid.
- Possible transfer credits for your military courses including CCAF, JST, DANTES, METC, and ACE-evaluated training.
- Inclusion in the DANTES Catalog of Nationally and Regionally
- Accredited Distance Learning Programs; Online support teams and military education coordinators located at base installations around the country.
American Military University Contact
Mon – Fri: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET
Sat – Sun: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET
For more information on tuition and aids, specific course requirements, how to apply and other relevant questions, please visit their official webpage through – www.amu.apus.edu.