In this article, we are considering the Low Tuition Universities and Colleges in Lithuania with Tuition Fees, student visa, How to Apply, Cost of Living, & Admission Requirements. It might interest you to know that in Lithuania the colleges (kolegija) and universities are the two higher education institutions. Colleges deal on practical training for particular professions.
A10-point grading system is what is used at the universities there, whereby 10 is the highest score and 5 is the minimum needed to pass. All the academic programs offered at the universities in Lithuania are judged according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) and are offered in terms of what is termed ‘cycles’, and follow the Bologna system.
Educational cycles in Lithuania are as follows;
- The first cycle is for bachelor’s degrees.
- The second cycle is for master’s degrees.
- The third cycle is for PhDs.
Universities in Lithuania also offer integrated study programs, which combine the first and second cycles so that students graduate with a master’s degree and can then study a PhD if they wish. These are most commonly found in regulated professions such as law and medicine.
Cost of Living
Costs of living in Lithuania is one of the cheapest in Europe. A student need to estimate costs of €489 (~US$520) per month, or €5,868 (~US$6,240) per year including accommodation, feeding, transport fare, books, etc. Student’s dormitories can be as cheap as €70 (~US$74) per month.Your mandatory Lithuanian student identity card (LSIC) will not just give you access to the university library, but will enable you to save money at restaurants, local theaters and cinemas. The international student identity card (ISIC) is not essential but will give you access to even more discounts.
In Lithuania universities, tuition fees vary from institution to institution and depending more on level of studies and study programme. As student, you need to budget your cost of study in the range given below.
- €1,000-5,300 (~US$1,060-5,620) for bachelor’s degrees
- €2,200-6,500 (~US$2,330-6,890) for master’s degrees
- €7,100-8,500 (~US$7,520-9,000) for PhDs
per year -for postgraduate studies. This fee structure applies to you if you are a Lithuanian or EU citizen. For international students, expect fees to be a little higher and depend on your programme. We recommend you visit your university of choice for information about that. It might interest you to note that students participating in students’ exchange programmes do not have to pay any extra tuition fees for the exchange programme.
Throwing more light on that, Students at higher education institutions in Lithuania can easily secure a state scholarship and may also participate in international exchange programmes (take for instance the Erasmus)
Tests are given to proof your proficiency if your study program is taught in the Lithuanian language. For students that choose English or other languages as the language of instruction, you will either need a certificate proving your language level (higher education institutions have their own requirements on the score needed), or pass the language proficiency test provided by the higher education institution.
Your qualifications will be recognised for your level of study before you think of studying in Lithuania. If your study programme is first cycle (bachelor’s) degrees, you must have a valid school leaving certificate (or equivalent). A bachelor’s degree or equivalent for second cycle (master’s) programs and a master’s degree if applying for a third cycle (PhD) program.
As an international student, your education documents will need to be evaluated and recognized by the Lithuanian Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (CQAHE), for which you’ll need to submit original copies of your diploma and academic transcript. Also, you need to choose the language you want to take your course in.
There are increasing numbers of English-taught courses taught in Lithuania and are listed on the program search tool provided by the Study in Lithuania website, including 99 university bachelor’s degrees, 139 master’s degrees and 16 doctoral programs. Proficiency test results such as IELTS or TOEFL will be required if you want to study in English. For studies in Lithuanian language, you’ll need to pass a proficiency test in the language.
How to apply
Citizen of Lithuania, EU/EEA country, or have a right of permanent residence in the Republic of Lithuania or a child, grandchild and great-grandchild of the Diaspora and people of Lithuanian origin are eligible to apply through the Lithuanian Higher Education Institutions (LAMA BPO) for state-funded places at universities in Lithuania, which should be done between 1 June and 23 July.
If you’re from a country outside of the EU/EEA, you will need to apply directly to your chosen university, submitting all the required documents:
- Completed application form
- Certificate of education (which has been recognized by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education)
- CV and letter of motivation
- Copy of your passport, certified by a Commissioner of Oaths
- Photographs of yourself
- A receipt proving that the application and tuition fees have been paid
- Bank statements proving that you are able to cover your tuition fees and living costs while studying in Lithuania
Student Visa Requirements
EU students do not need a student visa to enter Lithuania. Students from selected non-EU countries such as New Zealand, Australia, the US and Canada etc, do not need a visa to enter Lithuania, but should apply for one after arrival.; holders of diplomatic passports can also travel visa free to Lithuania. Citizens of other countries travelling to the Republic of Lithuania need visas.
Note; The alien to whom a visa-free travel regime is applied shall be entitled to enter the Republic of Lithuania and stay in it without a visa for up to 3 months within each half a year starting from the first day of entry into the Republic of Lithuania or any other Schengen State.
EU students do not need a residence permit, but must register with the Lithuanian Migration Department and declare their place of residence at a local district authority (Seniūnija) within seven days of arrival.
If you need a Lithuanian student visa, you’ll need to apply for the National visa (D), which can be single or multiple-entry. All non-EU students also need to apply for a temporary residence permit.You can apply for these at your local Lithuanian embassy for a €60 (~US$64) fee, and will need the following documents;
- Passport valid for at least three months longer than your expected length of stay in Lithuania
- Completed application form
- One recent color photo
- A document proving that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay and fund your journey home at the end of your studies
- A document confirming that you’ve purchased health insurance
- The documents needed for a residence permit are similar. You will also need proof that you’ve been admitted to a higher education institution in Lithuania, as well as a document confirming your place of residence during your studies. Your Lithuanian student visa will normally be issued in 15 days.
You may need to pass preliminary examinations (if required for selected study programmes). For more detailed information please inquire at the higher education institution of your choice.
Cheap Tuition Universities and Colleges in Lithuania for international students
- Academy of Business and Management
- Aleksandras Stulginskis University
- European Humanities University
- University of Bialystok
- University of Bialystok
- International Business School at Vilnius University
- ISM University of Management and Economics
- Kaunas University of Technology
- Kazimieras Simonavičius University
- Klaipėda University
- LCC International University
- Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre
- Lithuanian Sports University
- Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences
- Lithuanian University of Health Sciences
- Mykolas Romeris University
- Šiauliai University
- Telšiai Bishop Vincentas Borisevičius Priest Seminary
- The General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy of Lithuania
- Vilnius Academy of Fine Arts
- Vilnius Gediminas Technical University
- Vilnius St. Joseph Seminary
- Vilnius University
- Vytautas Magnus University
Colleges in Lithuania
- Alytus College
- International School of Law and Business
- Kaunas College
- Kaunas College of Forestry and Environmental Engineering
- Kaunas Technical College
- Klaipėda Business Higher School
- Klaipėda State College
- Kolping College
- Lithuanian Maritime Academy
- Marijampolė College
- North Lithuania College
- Panevėžys College
- Social Sciences College
- St. Ignatius of Loyola College
- Šiauliai State College
- Utena College
- Vilnius Business College
- Vilnius College
- Vilnius College of Design
- Vilnius College of Technologies and Design
- Vilnius Co-operative College
- V. A. Graičiūnas Higher School of Management
- West Lithuania Business College
- Žemaitija College